Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Voice of Truth

You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. John 8:44

Tomorrow my youngest daughter, Anna will be singing “The Voice of Truth” by Casting Crowns.  She asked me about a month ago if she could sing in church.  I did not answer her immediately because I was not sure she was serious.  I finally asked her why she wanted to sing and her answer was because she loves Jesus and wants to sing for him.

As she has been preparing, she asked me more about the words of the song and how do we listen to the voice of truth.  I told her that Satan will lie to us to try to convince us that we can’t do what is right but we need to listen to Jesus.  She quickly said, we hear from him in the Bible.

As I thought more about Satan’s lies, I began to realize that the voice of lies is not just Satan’s but our own.  Our world is so saturated by his lies that it influences how we think.  That is why D. Martyn Lloyd Jones said, we need to spend more time speaking to ourselves than listening to ourselves,  What goes through our minds is not always the truth of God, but the voice of lies.  Therefore, we must speak to ourselves the truth of God’s word.

But the stone was just the right size
to put the giant on the ground
and the waves they don't seem so high
from on top of them looking down
I will soar with the wings of eagles
when I stop and listen to the sound of Jesus
singing over me,

Take time to listen to the voice of truth by speaking to yourself the word of God.  Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment