Thursday, April 7, 2011

I Need You

Our culture glorifies the rugged individual who pulls himself up by his own bootstraps, beats all the odds and makes something of himself.   Our nation idolizes the self-made man.  The church, however, is called often times to be counter-cultural.  We serve a God who reminds us that His ways are not our ways.

In the body of Christ, there are no self-made Christians.  I know you think, I am stating the obvious, but follow me for a moment.  Yes, I know that salvation is a work of God and that no man comes to Christ unless the Spirit draws him.  And so in that sense, we are God made Christians.  But there is something more that we as a church too often forgets.

The book of Hebrews reminds us that we as believers are not to neglect to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encourage one another, and all the more as you see the Day draw near. (Hebrews 10:25)  Those who persevere to the end will be saved and we really need each other to help us to endure.

As a believer, I need other Christians.  I need people in my life who take my heart-struggles seriously.  I need people who will spur me on in the faith.  I need Christians who will preach the gospel to my heart daily.  I need Christians who understand that sin can harden even my heart. And I need to be that Christian for someone else.

I need encouragement and accountability in order to continue in the faith.  I cannot be that for myself, for my heart is deceitful above all.  In that sense, there are no self-made Christians, but God made Christians who need others to them keep the faith.  Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment