Friday, April 15, 2011

Duty, Dance, Ditches and the Glory of God

I have a confession to make, I am a dance dad.  I have three daughters and they all take dance, so that makes me a dance dad.  I have to admit that I was not to thrilled when my oldest first wanted to take dance.  My experience with dance up to that point was not great, I won’t go into details I just did not care for dance.  But we forged ahead and over time I changed my mind.

My daughters take dance at Cabarrus Dance Academy and it is there that I have not only learned to appreciate dance but also learned a greater lesson.  1 Corinthians 10:31 says, so, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.  Whatever you do includes dance.  Fortunately, Cabarrus Dance offers sacred dance where my girls learn to worship through dance but sacred dance is not required for dance to be worship.  When dance reflects truth, beauty, and grace it reflects the character of God and is done to His glory.   Not all dance reflects God’s character, dance like every other endeavor can glorify self rather than God.  But I can honestly say that I have seen God’s glory on display even at a dance recital.

But what if I don’t dance can I bring glory to God.  The answer is yes.  Luther reminds us that there is not a difference between a janitor and a preacher when it comes to God’s glory.  When our work reflects honesty, integrity, truth, beauty, grace and all things that reflect God’s character, we work to the glory of God.  So whether you are a soldier doing his duty, a dance teacher, or dig ditches, whatever you do, you can do it to the glory of God.  Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment