Monday, April 25, 2011

Our Greatest Sin

So what is our greatest sin?  Well when I use the word greatest, I use it to mean that sin which is far reaching.  What is the sin in the church that is most common to all.  It will surprise you and that most will not see it as a great offense testifies to how serious it really is.

The greatest sin in the church today is idolatry.  I know what you are thinking, I don't have any carved statues laying around my house to which I bow down.  I can't be an idolater.  I put money, possessions, power and fame in their proper place, I can't be an idolater.  It will surprise you but most of us really are.   Calvin said that the human heart is an idol maker.  But what idol do I have?

It is an idol that will surprise you, but an idol, none the less.  The idol that most people in the church worship today is the God who is less then the God who is.  A.W. Tozer in his book, The Knowledge of the Holy said, "Left to ourselves, we immediately reduce God to manageable terms."  We cannot bear the altogether glorious nature of God so we bring him down  to us.  We put God into the box of our understanding and we keep Him there.  Granted, our box may grow bigger over time, as our knowledge of Him grows.  However, we must never think that God is all that we think He is, for He is so much more.  He has revealed Himself in Scripture so we can know Him.  But we must always remember that no matter how great we believe God is, He is always greater.  We need to understand that God cannot fit into our box and begin to live and worship accordingly.  Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment