Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Casey Anthony and the Judgment of Men

The verdict came in today and it shocked many.  Casey Anthony was found not guilty of murdering her child.  After months of being tried by the media, Anthony was tried by the jury of her peers.  What the jury found was different from popular opinion.  I will be honest, I really have not kept up with the trial.  I don't know what evidence was submitted and I don't know the defense.  All I do know is that I have listened to people over the last few weeks saying she was guilty.  But the jury disagreed.

The purpose of this blog post is not to debate the verdict.  As I said, I really have not kept up with it, but I have listened to the response to the verdict among people.  The one question I hear most is how could she be found not guilty.

I don't have an answer to that question.  If she really is guilty and the jury is wrong, it is a reminder that human judgment is flawed.   If she is not guilty, and popular opinion is that she is, this too is a reminder that human judgment is flawed.

The good news is that for those who long for perfect justice, it will come one day.  Psalm 7:11 says "God is a righteous judge."  His judgment is perfect.   As much as people today long for perfect justice, on that day they will no longer long for it.  They will want God to grade on a curve.  For on that day, God's evidence against us will be our every thought, word, and deed.  There is nothing hidden from God.  If we have violated one point of the law, we have broken it all.  If we have held anyone in the least bit of contempt, we will have committed murder in the eyes of God.  On that day there will be no hope.

But there is hope today, for although He will not grade on a curve, He does grade on the cross.  We cannot be good enough, because we cannot be perfect.  But God has provided a way for us to stand in the day of judgment.  If we trust Christ, then our sin has been punished already for Christ took it upon Himself on the cross.  Not only that God gives us Jesus' perfect righteousness.  So on that day we can stand in the judgement.  God will say to those who have trusted Christ, welcome home my child.

So, I don't know whether Casey Anthony is guilty or not.  But I do know that I am guilty, but in Christ my guilt is taken away.  Can you say the same?  Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment