Saturday, June 11, 2011

Storm Warnings

Weathermen do a tremendous job warning us when storms are approaching.  It seems like every day this week, I have seen a thunderstorm watch or warning flash across the television screen.  These are very helpful to prepare for what may come our way.  We know to come in out of the rain before it hits. 

I wish that every storm in life came with a warning so that we could prepare.  Most of us would love to know ahead of time that a crisis was coming, so that we could prepare and maybe soften the blow.  But life does not work that way.  Trials and troubles often times seem to just come out of the blue.  I experienced that the other day, when in the middle of driving in a storm, my water pump broke.  I sure wish I knew that was coming, because I would not have been driving.  Because I was driving, when the pump broke, it threw a belt which damaged my radiator.  If I only knew, I could have prepared. 

We know life does cause us trouble.  Jesus promised us that we would face tribulation.  We just are caught off guard from the causes of it.  It sneaks up on us.  But there is a way to be prepared.  Psalm 46:1 says,  "God is our refuge and strength,a very present help in trouble."  To be prepared for the storms, we only need to remain close to Him.  The good news is that God has promised not to leave us nor forsake us.  But our problem is that we often times drift away.  Unless we work hard at our relationship with God, we drift.  When we are adrift, we are unprepared to face the storms of life.  So to be prepared, we need to continue to draw near to God.  Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment