Monday, June 20, 2011

From Failure to Victory: Rory McIlroy

Yesterday, Rory McIlroy, the 22 year old Irish golfer won the U.S. Open in record breaking fashion.  He shot 16 under par to win at the Congressional golf course.  It was a stunning victory which followed a stunning collapse at the Masters.  Going into the final round at Augusta National, McIlroy was leading the field.  Then one bad shot after another led to an 80 in the final round.  Everyone said he choked at golf's most prestigious event.  As he began play yesterday, people could not help but question, would it happen again.  The answer was no and now the 22 year old golfer will not be remembered as one who choked, but one who broke a course record at one of the most difficult golf courses.

I am glad that the young golfer had a second chance to prove himself.  I am more grateful that God gives us a second chance. In fact, when you are in Christ, God gives you an infinite number of second chances.  Our acceptance by God is not based on our performance but on the infinite perfect righteousness of Jesus Christ.  My acceptance by God is not based on how good I am but how good he is.

Some would think that this would that it does not matter how I live.  The answer of course is it does matter.  I seek to live out the righteousness that is in me by faith alone in Christ alone.  I seek to live that righteousness not to be accepted by God but to offer my life as a living sacrifice.  Am I perfect at it.  The answer, of course, is no.  But God gives me a second chance.  It reminds me of a poem I heard many years ago. It is called a New Leaf by Kathleen Wheeler.

He came to my desk with a quivering lip, the lesson was done.
“Have you a new sheet for me, dear teacher? I’ve spoiled this one.”
I took his sheet, all soiled and blotted,
And gave him a new one all unspotted.
And into his tired heart I cried, “Do better now, my child.”

I went to the throne with a trembling heart, the day was done.
 “Have you a new day for me, dear Master? I’ve spoiled this one.”
He took my day, all soiled and blotted,
and gave me a new one all unspotted.
And into my tired heart he cried, “Do better now, my child.”

Rory McIlroy is not the only one who can make a change.  In Christ we all can go from failure to victory.  Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment