Thursday, January 19, 2017

Following the Leader

To be a disciple maker one must build relationships with people. Jesus called his disciples to follow Him.  They walked with Jesus and not only learned from His teaching, but they watched what he did. Paul said to the church in Corinth, imitate me as I imitate Christ.  He told Timothy that he had followed  "my teaching, my conduct, my aim in life, my patience, my love, my steadfastness.  Discipleship is not only teaching people truth, but giving them an example to follow.


We learn how to pray by hearing and watching other people pray.  We learn to share our faith, by watching others.  We learn by example.  Whether you realize it or not, someone is following your example.  Ask yourself, what kind of Christian would someone be, if they followed me.  It is a convicting question, but a necessary one.  You never know who is watching you.

To make us better disciple makers, we should have three relationships.  We need a Paul, a Barnabas, and a Timothy.  We need a Paul.  We need to follow some one's lead.  We all need to look to people who are further along in the journey then we are.  We need a Barnabas.  We need a co-laborer.  Someone we walk along side who encourages us.  We also need a Timothy.  We need to intentionally and prayerfully choose to pour into another person who is not as far along the journey as we are.  If I choose to tell someone to follow my example as I follow the example of Christ, we become a better example to those who we don't know are watching.  Who will you choose to follow?  Who will you choose to walk along side?  Who will you choose to lead?

No comments:

Post a Comment