Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Giving Thanks

I just returned from a community Thanksgiving Service at Eva Drive Baptist Church and wanted to express my thanks to God for such an awesome worship service.  We had at least 4 churches gathered together to lift up praise to our heavenly father for all that He has done for us in Jesus Christ.  We sang songs of praise that were a mixture of Gospel songs, hymns and contemporary.  We prayed, testified and heard one of  the most powerful messages about thanksgiving that I have ever heard.

What was even more special was that the message was given by my dad, Don Davis.  Dad is just a little over a month short of being 79 years old but had the energy of a 20 year old as he preached in the power of the Holy Spirit. His message was from Psalm 100 and it reminded us that Thanksgiving is an action.


So I just wanted to share a few things for which I am thankful:

I am thankful that Jesus said "It is Finished".  I am thankful that my salvation is not dependent upon my faithfulness, but upon His. I am thankful that my salvation was completed at the cross and sealed at the resurrection.  I am thankful to be able to say that I am saved, I am being saved and one day I will be saved.  I am thankful that the hope that I have in Christ is secured.

I am thankful for a wife that loves me and stands by my side.  I am thankful for her love for Jesus that is seen in how she loves me.  I am thankful that she is my prayer warrior.  I am thankful for our three children who each love the Lord and serve him in their own way.  I am thankful to be their dad.

I am thankful for parents who love Jesus and who instilled that love into their children.  I am thankful that they are still teaching others that you never retire from serving the Lord.  I am thankful for a brother and a sister that I can still look up to.

I am thankful for generations past.  I am thankful for the foundation that was laid in my families life through both mine and my wife's grandparents.  I am thankful for my mother in law, Frances who has gone home to be with the Lord.  I am thankful for how much she taught me to enjoy life.

I am thankful for a church that demonstrates the love and grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  I am thankful that they know that it is more important to be the church than go to church.  I am thankful that they have been willing to be a little different and to think outside of the box.  I am thankful that we have learned that outreach happens in the community and not in a building.

I am thankful for so much and I could go on and on.  But now it is your turn.  Take some time to write down and share with someone all the things for which you are thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment